Monday, November 19, 2012

My Modern Mini Mystery Round Robin Quilt


Now it is my turn for my Modern Mini Mystery Round Robin quilt reveal.
I don't remember what I was doing at the time or just how the idea came into my brain, but 8 1/2 months ago, I created the 1st Modern Mini Mystery Round Robin. When I wrote my the post announcing it I was hoping to get at least a group or maybe even 2 of 8 participants. I was pleasantly surprised that the idea caught on with so many and we ended up with 30 ladies signed on to share in the fun (with 2 ladies doing doubles to round out the numbers).

Once I put the groups together and sent out the lists, it was time I made my own center block. Coming up with this Round Robin idea was the easy part. Deciding what sort of block to do was much tougher.

I pondered for days and days....what colors to use, what block pattern or design to use, go wonky or not...so many choices and so little time to decide. In the end, I decided to create a block that really spoke to who I am and this is what I came up with.
A rainbow of color, my favorite and just a bit off kilter, so like me. It really summed up my personality....when you first glance at me quickly I seem straight and normal  (the accountant part of me) but when you stop and look a little closer, you see that I'm typically just slightly askew. It is such a better way to live....a tad bit unpredictable.

This little block traveled literally around the world! It stopped at 5 destinations in the US including Georgia, Illinois, Utah, Montana, and North Carolina plus it flew across the pond to France and down under to Australia.

It is no lie that when the package arrived back home, I was extremely nervous about opening it. Seeing the return address, I knew exactly what was to be found inside the padded envelope. Being the master list keeper of all the destinations, I knew where each block was on its journey each month but not once did I ever attempt to suggest or influence what my group mates added to my own little quilt. So I had absolutely no clue as to what this would look like. When I finally lifted the flap and unfolded the contents, this is what I found:
Very cool. Very lively. Full of color and lots of visual interest. I don't know which part I like the most. I had originally planned on actually having this quilted and bound for this reveal but as you can see, it currently is still not finished. The hold up? Well I honestly can't decide exactly how I want to finish it. I did decide that I didn't want to finish it just for the sake of finishing it because if I rushed it and then wasn't happy with it, I would be more upset than if I wait to figure out just what it needs in the first place. I've auditioned a number of quilting designs but none are just right. And picking out a thread color isn't an easy task either. So many colors to take into consideration.

So this is going to remain on my design wall for a while where I can admire it. I know from experience that if I let things simmer long enough the right answer will come to me. They always do.

Thank you to each and every lovely lady that participated in this Modern Mini Mystery Round Robin. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. I enjoyed being your hostess and I truly hope you'll all join in on the next mystery mini round robin.
  

16 of you added your own colorful comments:

Deonn said...

Wow, those are some very creative borders, took a completely different turn after I sent it on it's way! By the way, I had made rainbow-colored yo-yos which I safety-pinned in the white areas (I figured you would stitch them on after quilting it). Did you receive them? If they got lost in their world travels, let me know and I'll send you more.

Kylie Lloyd said...

It's so amazing how others have interpreted our middle blocks and added some of their own personalities to each border.

Lesley said...

Wonderful little quilt with lots of excitement! Love the hexies!

Diane-crewe said...

it looks wonderful x

Pippa Parsons said...

Deonn they were sent to Kylie who had it last, It's gorgeous, Isn't it weird how you forget what you worked on xxx

Sparky said...

pretty amazing....love the details..

Lynne said...

Michele, The Modern Mini Mystery is a fabulous concept and the one that came home to you is gorgeous. Well done you on a great idea!

PS I came in from Janet's blog: Caribou Crossing Chronicles

West Michigan Quilter said...

Oh, I love your quilt. This Modern Mini Mystery is a great idea. I just came from Annie's blog. I love what you guys are doing.

Melinda said...

Love how it turned out, and I enjoyed working on this so much!

beaquilter said...

What great results!!- sorry I scheduled mine but realized just now I had the wrong time, so it's up now

Vicki said...

That's a beauty I know what you mean about the finishing, mine is residing on the design wall as well, waiting for inspiration on the quilting

Annie said...

How interesting. That last border addition is really cool! It's pretty amazing how each quilt took a mostly individual turn of design.

Janet said...

What a lot of things to look at in this piece - wonderful for interest and the pops of colour.

edyB said...

Such a beauty!

Susana said...

Increíble blog.Como seguirla por correo electrónico?Cariños.

Samantha said...

I love how yours turned out! I am loving all of these colorful quilt tops!