Sunday, December 23, 2012

A cute Christmas story

Each year as I set out my beloved nativity set, I chuckle as I remember the "other" little story that goes along with the familiar players that has been in our family for many years.
You see, when my niece was about 4 (she's 30 now) she and my mom (aka Nanny) were helping Aunt Janet move into her new house right around Christmas time. On the way over to her house to help assist with the first bit of unpacking they picked up lunch. The movers hadn't arrived yet with the furniture so they spread a blanket on the floor and ate their meal. Little niece added the perfect little quip when she declared

"We are having a picnic just like Baby Jesus".

She had been looking at Nanny's nativity set up and obviously figured out that was what they were doing. From that moment on, anytime someone is enjoying a picnic, we always say "just like Baby Jesus."

Do you have any cute little holiday time family tidbits like this that have remained for years and years?


3 of you added your own colorful comments:

beaquilter said...

awww, that's cute, picnic like Jesus! this year my son was playing with our nativity set and he took baby Jesus and had him jumping on the roof of the stable, I told him- get down Jesus! or you'll get a spanking!" My son couldn't stop laughing....

Sallie said...

I love it! While walking in our neighborhood yesterday, I saw an outdoor nativity set and thought the same thing! It looked like they were having a picnic!

edyB said...

Up the street from us ... a neighbor has sheep and chickens and he always builts a Nativity set. Yep, definitely having a picnic!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Michele!!!