Friday, March 29, 2013

Please Help Joey

A 9 year old boy Joey is now battling a very serious form of renal cancer and there is no cure. It has also unfortunately spread to his lymph nodes. He is the very good friend and classmate of my friend Kris's daughter. The diagnoses just came 3 days ago. I'm petrified of something happening to my own kids and I can't imagine what his parents are going through. He is facing surgery and chemo as they attempt to beat the odds and he will be in the hospital at least a month, if not a lot longer.

Last night Kris came up with the idea of having a 100 Good Wishes Quilt made for him and she asked if I'd be willing to make it. I immediately said "Absolutely"! She has posted on her local FCC group (Families with Children From China) asking for contributions of fabric squares and good wishes and I told her that I'd post here too requesting the same from my readers. Hopefully together we can collect enough squares to make him a decent sized quilt to comfort him in the coming days, weeks and months.

Kris has the crazy idea that she is going to pay me to make this quilt and of course that is absurd. I wouldn't take a single dime from her to make this quilt. But I will need to find a long arm quilter who might be willing to donate her services for this one. If not I'll pay for the work out of my own pocket.

So here is what I'm asking of you....please pick out and send to me a 9" square of fabric, something that you think a 9 year old boy would love. He lives in Florida so obviously anything with snow or winter themes is foreign to him but I'm sure there are tons of other possibilities available.

The wish? For those that aren't familiar with this part of the tradition, it is something written to the child. For a baby to be born, it would be some sort of wish for a happy and healthy life, much like what you find written inside a new baby congratulations card. For this it should be something more akin to what a young boy would appreciate but please keep them happy and upbeat. It can be a wish, a funny story, a poem or just a note telling him that he is in your thoughts and prayers.

Please write your wish on card stock paper instead of inside a folding card as Kris wants to put them all in a scrapbook album for Joey to keep with him, so he can go through and read the wishes any time he wants to. You can make it fancy with lively scrapbooking flair or keep it simple, totally up to you.

Obviously time is of the essence here so if you want to help please let me know and I will email you my address. If you can help spread the word I would be eternally grateful. No child should have to face something like this. I don't know how long he has but I'm sure knowing that so many people care and are sending him wishes for recovery will help keep his spirits up and the hope high.

Thank you one and all!

Update: To clarify for those that have asked and everyone else that will read this, I am requesting just a square piece of fabric, not a quilt block. And Joey does not yet know that he has cancer. The parents are waiting until they get more test results back and have more information before they break the news to him so please keep that in mind when you write your wish.

40 of you added your own colorful comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Count me in sweetie

Unknown said...

Oh my God, soooo terrible;-(
A big hug from Italy, Emanuela

Chiska said...

I would love to send you a square. Thanks for the chance to do it.

Michele T said...

I would love to be a part of the 100 wishes for Joey!

Needled Mom said...

I would love to be included too. Poor little guy!

Karen said...

I will be glad to help. Do you only need a fabric square or do you want a quilt block 9"?

Tina said...

If you don't find a long arm quilter to donate this, I will help you with it.

Janet said...

Of course I'll send a block. Please send me your address. I know I have it somewhere but with my concussion it would take me forever to find it.

Rachel said...

I am in (I know that surprises you!)

Julianne said...

I'm in too! Absolutely!

Sheila said...

I'm in too, my dear. Where do I send a 9" square of fabric?

hueisei said...

I am in. I would love to be part of this.

Deonn said...

Oh, Michele, I can't even imagine the heartbreak these parents are feeling. I'd love to help.

Rina Mason said...

Found you through Vroomans blog and am now a follower. I would be honored to send a square of fabric for the the quilt along with a wish for Joey. Send me an email with the address and it will be in the mail before the end of the week.

Nita said...

Please send me your address and I will send a special wish from Whitehorse, Yukon. It would be fun for him to get wishes from all over the world!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have several fabrics that would do for a boy his age. Let me know your address, and I'll get them out in the mail by this weekend.

Linda said...

Send me your address Michele. I would love to participate in your 100 wishes quilt.

sew.darn.quilt said...

Please send me your address and I'll send a square from the Canadian prairies.
I can't imagine the heartache this family is experiencing.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Send me your address and I will mail it out tomorrow.

Lyndsey said...

I'd love to send you a square from London UK

sunny said...

Count me in! I'd love to help out with this good cause.

Quiltn Mama said...

I'm in...what's the address to send them?

Lisa said...

Count me in as well. Shoot me your address & I'll get it headed your way!

Kathy said...

Michele I will have one in the mail to you by Monday.
Plus one from my daughter so put me down for two.

Anonymous said...

I have lots of great boy fabrics as I have a son that age... Here's my email addy so you can send me your addy:

ruthiequilts7@yahoo.com

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Definitely Michele...you will have one from New Brunswick, Canada.

Bodenseefelchen said...

I'm so sorry. I have on my site also includes a call, my girlfriend has her 3 year old leukemia and the family has no money. The mother can not work because with Nerea always in the hospital and the father can only work half because they have other children who iommer in the hospital, because they have to be Operates. A daughter does not listen, and the other has adhesions.
Give me the address I'll send you a fabric. (9 inch?)
Angelika
Lake Konstanz Germany

KatieQ said...

I would be happy to send a square. Please send your address so that I can get it in the mail ASAP.

Samantha K said...

I'd be happy to send a square, please let me know where I need to send it to.

Jeannie D said...

Got some great fabric with foxes on it! Send me your address and I'll send it out Monday, 4/8/13

mynadala(at)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Have some awesome fabric.....would love to get it your way!! Contact me through my blog...hugs, Doreen

alaskamarge said...

Please send me your address and I will send one from Alaska.

Michele said...

Hi Margaret,

I'd love to send you my address to send one but you are a No Reply Blogger so I can't. If you are reading this, I hope, please email me at mak8818@nycap.rr.com with your email address and I'll reply post haste. Thanks bunches.

Vesuviusmama said...

I'd like to participate. Please send me your mailing address.

Melinda said...

I have your address and I've already cut out 3 to send. I had several boy fabrics from a previous quilt. I'll write up a wish and send it out ASAP!

Vesuviusmama said...

3 squares of fabric and a wish going out in today's mail.

The Thimblemouse of Country Crossroads said...

Michele...I'm new to your blog (just jumped over from sew.darn.quilt)...please let me know if you still need someone to longarm this quilt for you - I'm volunteering the "Spouse"...we are also in Florida.

Kathy ~~~ said...

I have a spiderman fabric I'd like to send and will check for others. Pls send me your address. What number of squares are you up to?

Karrie said...

I will definitely send something if you email me: ksmith8@emich.edu

Sarah J. said...

I would love to help! Can't imagine this happening to my own sweet kids. Just send me your address and I'll get them to you ASAP.