Sunday, March 3, 2013

Until I see you again Sissy

Sissy is my first Brother sewing machine. I bought her in July 2009, right after I did some piecing for the very first time and realized that I fell hook, line and sinker in love with this craft. I was borrowing my mother's old machine and I hated that, so much so that I wanted to throw it through the window. I'll always remember the moment when hubby said to me "why don't you go out and spend a few hundred dollars and get yourself a sewing machine"? I'm sure he had no clue at that time just how far I would take this art when he uttered those words.
Lately she has been to one really long sleep over party! Since August, she has been hanging out with my graphic-artist-new-quilter friend Alana, who got interested in art quilts (thanks to me), was taking her first quilting class to learn the basics and needed a machine to use.

I had hoped then that Alana would come to love Sissy and would want to keep her for her very own. And now she does. We recently came to an agreement, shook hands on it (or to be truthful, we high-fived each other) and now Sissy is calling Alana's place her home.

I do miss her somewhat since she was my first machine and we spent so many great hours together but I know she is in good hands and will be well taken care of.  And this isn't goodbye by any means. Alana and I will surely be taking some classes together and there will be times when we both attend a retreat now and then so I'll definitely be seeing her again. Plus there will be play dates necessary for Sissy and her best friend Lucy. So although Sissy has moved onto a new owner and a new home, she'll always hold a special place in my heart.



4 of you added your own colorful comments:

Linda said...

It's hard to let them go but it's for the best. At least you can visit! My first was a Kenmore that my husband gave me for our first anniversary, almost 35 years ago, to make baby clothes. I don't have it anymore but like Sissy, it went to a good home.

Rachel said...

Awwww, have fun Sissy!

Needled Mom said...

It's so nice when those first loves go to good homes.

beaquilter said...

awwww. well it looks like she'll have a nice new home!